As a provider of care to men with nonobstructive azoospermia, are you tired of failing to find sperm after large, invasive testicular surgical procedures? Please consider becoming certified in FNA Mapping and FNA map-directed sperm retrievals. The Turek Clinic offers training and certification in its “smart” procedures for sperm retrieval, termed SPERMmapSM SMARTretrieveSM, which simplify difficult testicular sperm retrieval procedures, making them less invasive, more streamlined and efficient. Think of the SPERMmapSM SMARTretrieveSM procedures as “know before you go” techniques to vastly improve your chances of finding sperm at the time of sperm retrieval and to reduce the extent and complexity of procedures needed to retrieve sperm.
Although finding sperm in men with obstructive azoospermia is straightforward, locating and retrieving sperm in cases of nonobstructive azoospermia remains a clinical challenge, largely due to the fact that sperm production can be patchy or focal in nature. In response to this, the strategy of fine needle aspiration (FNA) “Mapping” was developed and published in 1997 by Dr. Turek. Since then, FNA Mapping has gained considerable traction worldwide as an informative, “testis sparing” technique for sperm detection in nonobstructive azoospermia. Additionally, with the knowledge of sperm presence and location prior to sperm retrieval, FNA Maps help clinicians to “tailor” sperm retrieval procedures to optimize time, effort, extent and success in difficult cases.
Goals of Certification
SPERMmapSM and SMARTretrieveSM training and certification programs are now being offered by The Turek Clinic. The goal of those programs is to formally educate and train practitioners in the art and science of Sperm Mapping and Map-directed sperm retrievals by providing proprietary, technical and knowledge-based training. Through formal, comprehensive training, high quality technical and decision-making skills are maintained and promoted in the field. This training does not involve rendering medical services but is purely educational in nature.
Specifically, the SPERMmapSM and SMARTretrieveSM training and certification programs develop technical and clinical skill sets that include:
- Proficiency and understanding of the clinical indications for SPERMmapSM procedures
- Technical expertise in the performance of SPERMmapSM procedures
- Preoperative and postoperative patient management with SPERMmapSM procedures
- Working knowledge in the cytological interpretation of SPERMmapsSM procedures
- Decision making expertise in SMARTretrieveSM procedures, including:
- Patient suitability for local vs general anesthesia
- Patient suitability for sTESA vs sTESE vs msTESE procedures
- Advising patients of sperm retrieval success rates
- Informing and preparing andrology laboratory staff of procedural complexity and expectations