Male Fertility Doctor Serving Oakland
Fatherhood is a blessing, but it is not something that comes easy for all men. Nearly 10% of men struggle with some type of male infertility problem, and male factor infertility is now at 50% equal to that of women. Fortunately, men in Oakland who want to grow their families can turn to The Turek Clinic to receive a customized fertility treatment plan to help them overcome these obstacles, even if they have previously been told they are infertile.
Fertility Conditions Treated
Conditions that Dr. Turek successfully treats in male infertility patients:
- Azoospermia: This condition occurs when a man has no viable (motile) sperm in his ejaculate. It is the leading cause of severe male fertility. However, there may be ways to find motile sperm hidden in the testicles.
- Oligospermia: This is the technical term for low sperm count. It describes men who typically have less than 15 million sperm in their ejaculate, making semen less likely to achieve fertilization with an egg. Men with this condition can benefit from assistance from a fertility expert.
- Cryptozoospermia: Also known as “virtual azoospermia,” this describes a condition in which no motile sperm is found during an initial examination of semen, though a small amount of sperm can be found later under more thorough investigation.
- Varicocele: Varicocele develops when the veins in the scrotum enlarge. This condition can decrease the production and quality of sperm, and it is at least partially responsible for about 40% of male infertility cases. It can be painful.
Modern Solutions from a Leading Male Fertility Specialist
Dr. Paul Turek is a male fertility expert who has been recognized around the globe for his contributions to the advancement of his field, ranking in the top 1-2% echelon of reproductive urologists. One of his top achievements is his Sperm Mapping technique, a minimally invasive way to locate hidden sperm in men who have been labeled infertile. Having a guided map allows Dr. Turek to optimize sperm retrieval to use with IVF or ICSI. Guided sperm retrieval is often much gentler than blind microdissection techniques like microTESE. Thanks to cutting-edge diagnostics like Sperm Mapping, Dr. Turek has helped thousands of men who were previously without hope of becoming fathers.
Fertility Treatments Offered
- Semen Analysis: This is one of the first tests to assess male infertility issues. A semen analysis can confirm the amount of sperm in a man’s semen, as well as the quality of that sperm, to help determine the likelihood of fertilization.
- Sperm Mapping: Sperm Mapping is a signature procedure by Dr. Turek to look for hidden viable sperm in the testicles that can be used to achieve a pregnancy with IVF or ICSI.
- Microsurgical Reconstruction: Microsurgical reconstruction is a procedure that unblocks stoppages in the male reproductive organs that prevent sperm from being released in ejaculate.
- Sperm Retrieval: Sperm retrieval is a treatment that extracts motile sperm from the testicle of men who have azoospermia which can be used to achieve fertilization.
- Testicular Biopsy: If the root cause of male infertility remains unknown, Dr. Turek may perform a testicular biopsy, which involves removing a small amount of testicular tissue. He then examines the tissue to determine what the potential causes are.
- Varicocele Repair: Varicocele repair helps to stop the flow of blood from the body to the scrotum (which may impede testosterone production and testicular function) through the varicocele treatment so that men can improve their chances of achieving pregnancy.
- Ejaculatory Duct Resection: TURED (transurethral resection of the ejaculatory ducts) opens a man’s ducts to allow for a normal flow of ejaculate with improved sperm quality. About 30% of men with fertility issues can achieve natural pregnancy after this treatment.
- Reverse Vasectomy: This surgery undoes the results of a previous vasectomy by reconnecting the vas deferens so that sperm can be released into the man’s semen. Dr. Turek is an expert in correcting prior reversals that have been unsuccessful.
Sexual Health Services
- Erectile and Ejaculatory Disorders: Many men have difficulty achieving and maintaining an erection or ejaculating during intercourse, which can pose significant obstacles toward becoming a father.
- Loss of Testicle: Dr. Turek uses testicular implants for men who have lost a testicle to cancer or injury.
- Peyronie’s Disease: Peyronie’s disease is characterized by scar tissue on the penis. This can cause painful erections or a curved penis shape that can make sex more difficult.
- Low Testosterone (hypogonadism): Men who improve their testosterone levels with hormone replacement therapy notice their mood, strength, and libido.
Painless, Nitrous Oxide Vasectomy
The vas deferens, which are the tubes that transport sperm from the testicles to the urethra, are snipped or sealed in a vasectomy. This prevents sperm from being released with ejaculate during sexual intercourse, effectively making the man sterile. Dr. Turek has perfected the no-scalpel option using nitrous oxide to prevent pain and anxiety.
The Turek Clinic Difference
The entire team at the Turek Clinic is committed to providing top-notch care. This includes minimal wait times and our full attention when you arrive for your appointment. Dr. Turek spends more time with his patients than other fertility and male sexual health doctors so that he may develop a personal relationship and devise a customized treatment plan that works best for you.
Meet Dr. Turek
Dr. Turek is a board-certified urologist and master micro-surgeon who has trained fellow doctors, been published in prestigious medical journals, and invited to lecture about fertility nearly 1,000 times around the world. Despite his lofty credentials, Dr. Turek still makes time to meet with ordinary patients who need reproductive and non-fertility health care.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Turek at his state-of-the-art office in San Francisco, please call 1-888-TUREKMD today.