Male Fertility Doctor Serving San Jose
If you are a man in San Jose who has had difficulty becoming a father, fertility treatment can help make the journey to parenthood much easier. At the Turek Clinic, our experts, led by Dr. Paul Turek, a top-tier reproductive urologist ranked in the highest 1-2% of his field, can devise a customized treatment plan that helps you to increase your odds of conceiving a child.
Male Fertility Challenges
- Azoospermia: Men who have a sperm count of zero (i.e., no viable sperm in their ejaculate) have azoospermia. The two types of azoospermia are obstructive azoospermia, where a physical blockage is preventing sperm from being ejaculated, and non-obstructive azoospermia, which indicates that the problem is with the sperm production in the testes.
- Oligospermia: Men with a low sperm count (fewer than 15 million sperm for each milliliter of semen) have oligospermia. Although men with oligospermia may have more trouble fertilizing an egg naturally, it is still possible. They should still see a male fertility specialist to understand the cause and their best options.
- Cryptozoospermia: This condition describes men who have initially been diagnosed with azoospermia (complete lack of sperm in semen sample), but later turn up limited sperm in subsequent testing.
- Varicocele: Varicoceles are enlarged veins in the scrotum that can negatively impact the quality and production of sperm due to high temperatures and disrupted blood flow.
How the Turek Clinic Can Help
Dr. Turek offers modern solutions to common fertility issues for men. Most notably, he developed the signature Sperm Mapping treatment, which is a minimally invasive way to discover if any viable sperm are trapped in the testicles that can be used to fertilize an egg. If such sperm is found, he can retrieve it using less invasive methods, including a guided micro-tese and use it to fertilize an egg via a procedure like IVF or ICSI. This can negate the need for a blind microTESE, which is more invasive and can have adverse side effects. Throughout his career, Dr. Turek has helped thousands of men to become fathers, many of whom were previously deemed infertile or had experienced failed procedures elsewhere.
Fertility Treatments in San Jose
- Semen Analysis: This laboratory test measures the quantity and quality of the sperm that is released in a semen sample. Once Dr. Turek can determine the sperm count, the morphology (shape) of the sperm and the motility of the sperm — and perform more detailed analysis where needed — he can recommend appropriate treatments.
- Sperm Mapping: Dr. Turek uses Sperm Mapping to identify hidden sperm in men with azoospermia or other similar conditions. If viable sperm is found in the testicles or epididymis, it can be extracted and used with a corresponding fertility treatment.
- Microsurgical Reconstruction: This is a specialized treatment that involves either fixing or reconnecting parts of the male reproductive system with the main objective being to improve the patient’s fertility.
- Sperm Retrieval: Often performed after Sperm Mapping, this process can safely remove sperm that is not released with semen so that it can be used in an egg fertilization procedure like IVF or ICSI.
- Testicular Biopsy: By removing a small sample of testicular tissue, Dr. Turek can check for certain fertility issues. It is especially useful in measuring the quality of sperm in men with non-obstructive azoospermia.
- Varicocele Repair: To repair enlarged veins in the scrotum (varicoceles), Dr. Turek performs a procedure designed to improve the flow of blood and reduce the temperature of the testicles so that sperm production increases. A varicocele can often begin in the teenage years and in some cases is associated with pain.
- Ejaculatory Duct Resection: Obstructed ejaculatory ducts prevent or slow the flow of sperm into semen. By addressing any such blockages, Dr. Turek can help improve a man’s sperm count and chances of achieving a pregnancy.
- Reverse Vasectomy: This surgery undoes a vasectomy by reconnecting the vas deferens so sperm can be re-released with semen when the man ejaculates. This procedure can be a complicated one depending on patient history and how long it has been since the original vasectomy. Dr. Turek also specializes in reperforming reversals for men who have had failed procedures elsewhere.
Sexual Health Services
- Low Testosterone (hypogonadism): Men with low testosterone can boost their levels with hormone treatments that better regulate their mood and libido.
- Testicular Implants: Some men may lose one or both testicles due to cancer, injury, or other medical conditions. Dr. Turek is one of the inventors of testicular implants.
- Peyronie’s Disease: With this condition, fibrous scar tissues form inside the penis, which can make the penis bend. This causes significant pain during sexual intercourse and sometimes even erectile dysfunction.
- Erectile and Ejaculatory Disorder: Dr. Turek treats conditions like erectile disfunction, delayed ejaculation, and retrograde ejaculation so that men can improve their performance and fertility.
Painless, Nitrous Oxide Vasectomy
The vas deferens, which are the tubes that transport sperm from the testicles to the urethra, are snipped or sealed in a vasectomy. This prevents sperm from being released with ejaculate during sexual intercourse, effectively making the man sterile. Dr. Turek has perfected the no-scalpel option in combination with nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to prevent pain and anxiety.
Professionalism You Can Trust
Each member of the Turek Clinic team is committed to helping couples grow their family and providing attentive, knowledgeable care. We care about the well-being of our patients, which is why we devise customized treatment plans that can identify and address the fertility problems posing the most significant problems.
Meet Dr. Turek
Dr. Turek is a male fertility expert and master micro-surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Urology (ABU). He has devoted his career to studying male fertility conditions and evolving the treatments so that men who want to become fathers can do so. He is regularly invited to speak at conferences across the world, having presented at nearly 1,000 to date.
Although he is one of the most famous male infertility specialists worldwide, he most enjoys treating couples in the San Jose area so that they can finally have the baby they have been dreaming of  or have any other health concerns cured. Call 1-888-TUREKMD to schedule a consultation.