In Sickness and in Health
This blog post includes a preview of my keynote at Fertility Planit Show Los Angeles, which takes place on April 4th and 5th at UCLA. We’re pleased to be able to offer you complimentary admission to the event. Register using this link and promo code FPGUEST. Space is limited. I hope to see you there!
Ok, here’s the scoop. I have two men’s health practices. As part of this, I receive many phone calls from patients wanting to schedule a consultation. Guess who calls more often, men or women? You guessed it: women!
A Typical 10 Minute Talk
“Hi, Doctor Turek, thanks for talking with us. My partner is right here next to me and has a problem. Honey, why don’t you talk to the Doctor?…(man gets on the phone after a long silence)..Uh yeah, hullo doc. You see what’s happening is…”
Key to Male Longevity
Although I didn’t expect this, the women-caring-for-men phenomenon is actually well known and is called the “Marriage Protection Hypothesis.” Here are the some of its features:
- Married men live longer than single men in the U.S.
- Married men are more likely to have cancers diagnosed earlier and less like to die from cancer than their single buddies.
- Marriage may discourage risky male behaviors that can be life threatening. This is the Darwin-Award phenomenon.
- Believe it or not, marriage is associated with lower levels of dementia in men.
Fertility Planit Preview
Who da thunk? Marriage is good for men’s health. This little fact, my friends, is the inspiration for my upcoming keynote speech at the 2014 Fertility Planit Show in Los Angeles this week. The title of the talk is: “What Every Women Needs to Know About Her Man’s Fertility.”
Of all the sneaky ways that I have developed to help men take better care of themselves, this could be the secret sauce. What better way to help men help themselves than to have women read and follow the owner’s manual for them!
My Fertility Planit talks:
- Panel discussion: Fri, April 04, 2014 at 11:00am – Keeping Sex Passionate When You’re Trying to Conceive
- Keynote: Sat, April 05 at 12:00pm – The Myths of Manhood: What Every Woman Needs to Know About Her Man’s Fertility